Monday, March 8, 2010

Under Where?

I try to be careful about separating my sewing from the museum I work in to avoid any possible conflicts of interest. But when my director started asking me to look for some sort of winter programming, I realized that it was much easier to do a lecture myself than it was to research other lecturers. And darn it all, if I'm going to give a lecture, it's going to have to be about what I know best--historic underwear.

So I gave the first of my UnderWhere? lectures at work today. They go chronologically, so today's was underwear in 1770, and I got to wear the big red gown again (3 times in one month--awesome!).

I have to admit to being a little anxious, despite studying historic Underwear for the past 10-12 years, it's only sensible that I got a little anxious when the people who make the museum repros for my museum came down to see my talk.




Perhaps
it is a little odd that taking my clothes off in front of people doesn't make me worried. But the fact is, that an 18th century chemise is large enough to conceal a complete compliment of 21st century gym clothes, which is precisely what I wear underneath--that and I have no shame. :)

Once I was crammed into my gown (I have to tight lace because I made it too small--dummy) and people started filling up out lecture room, I felt pretty at ease though. There's something about wearing a really impressive costume that makes me just feel good.

So away I went, confidently declaring myself an expert and doing my best to stick to what I know (instead of giving into the temptation to meander off in conjecture) as I peeled off 11 costume items and explained each one. Just like the last time I did this program, my only problem turned out to be keeping it to just one hour.




Two more to go this winter: 1800 and 1880. The 1880 will be tough, but only because the gown is so F-ing tiny (I didn't make that one, I bought it second hand, which is why it is too small). At the 1880 session, I fully plan to get into corsets full-on though, because that is the era I kick ass at. If there's any way for me to weave in my graduate thesis on adolescent corsetry, you know I'll be all over that one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment