Monday, March 8, 2010

Bridal Corsets: Part 2



I have long had mixed feelings about brides wearing corsets. On the one hand, everyone wants to feel confident about the way they look in their wedding dress, and a corset certainly smooths and slims anyone's figure. But on the other hand, I've always felt worried for the in experienced corset-wearer's comfort on her first 6-10 hour day in a corset while she dances, smiles for pictures, and greats the new in-laws.

But two weeks I went to my friend's sister's wedding in Vermont, where I'd made corsets for both the brides. I have to say, my concerns softened.




Both ladies looked exquisite. Additionally, I found out that two brides makes for more pretty dresses to ogle.

They had come to me months before requesting wedding corsets, and since I had them in my studio for once (instead entirely through mail-order), I gave them the full run-down of available models. Both girls were close to my size, so I even had them try on three or four of my own.

We settled on my recent favorite:




I love the Edwardian corset for so many reasons, but I thought it a good choice for both of them because their dresses hugged their figures down through the hips, and because that low bustline would give them a little more breathing room when it came to dancing. We wound up with a cream silk faille for one and a white-on-on white damask for the the other. So pretty!




I gave both of them "the talk" about breaking in their corsets. I know most people really want to save their wedding ensemble to be perfectly new on their special day, but I maintain that both shoes and corsets really should be exempt from this. Both ladies dutifully broke in their corsets.

On the day of the wedding, I poked my head into each respective dressing room to offer my services as a lacer. Since one gal was a former reenactor, she eagerly went for the gusto and had her sister tighten her up until she turned a little blue. The other bride, newer to corsets, I just snugged up until the corset was tight, but not cutting off any circulation.

Over the course of the night, I realized some unexpected things about corsets and brides: One, that this is really the perfect wedding corset for all the reasons I've already mentioned. C'est magnifique!



Two, I realized that with the popularity of strapless gowns, a corset is a much surer way to keep your boobs in place than a strapless bra--I'm speaking from my own experience there.

Three,
that enforced good posture of a corset (even one that is not laced tightly) really makes you look fabulous. We slouch so much in our daily lives that we don't realize how bad it looks when we are dressed up--me included! Even by the end of the night, when most brides are limping, sore in their shoes and barely standing up (let alone sitting up straight), these two ladies were still posing for perfect pictures at their after party.



And four, I learned that you can still do the Electric Slide in a corset.



My thanks go to Becky and Leigh for inviting me to their fabulous wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment