Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pattern Whore

So I got a bonus day off of work today when my car wouldn't start. I was feeling a bit depressed while I watched my car get hauled onto the rollback so I thought I would salve my soul by cruising eBay vintage pattern sales. Except, I'm also worried about paying for car repairs so instead of buying anything, I'll just share my favorites and live vicariously through anyone else who buys them instead of me.

This dress is all about the button detail on the front--probably something a patient seamstress could draft on her own, but perfect for the lazy amongst us (that includes me). At a 32" bust, it will need sizing up for most of us.







From my favorite eBay pattern seller, this 1940s dress was enough to make me think very hard about whether or not I should bid (my thin wallet prevailed upon me not to). I am always a sucker for 40s gathering and the panel cut into the center front of the skirt like that. This one I could easily slip into my work wardrobe and get loads of compliments on (as long as the insertion of that panel went well. It's bound to be a bit tricky). Bust 36"!? I love you. *wipes away a trail of drool*



This one I hesitated to put up because I wasn't sure if it was quite original enough. I finally decided that with the princess waist and inset sleeves (a little hard to find on 50s dresses and kind of a pain to re-draft), it was worth it. I love the scalloped neckline, and I think this could easily make either a pretty cocktail dress or a killer wedding dress. At a 30" bust, it will definitely require sizing up, bat that shouldn't be too bad with its configuration.

I'm also pretty sure that for most of us, proper waist-cinching undergarments and petticoats will be required to make this flattering.

Nevertheless, it's totally adorable.


Wow! The wrap detail on the front of this is spectacular, especially when complimented by the gathers at the hips. Beware though: that wrap detail could be tough to size up for inexperienced seamstresses, and at a size 32" bust, that will almost definitely be a requirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment