Monday, March 8, 2010

The Empire Strikes Back



There it is. With practically no measurements, except "I bought a size -- bridesmaid dress, and they altered it a lot for me," and only 14 hours to finish it in, I managed to pull it together, petticoat and all. Empire--I love you!

The extremely thin, gauzy material was ideal for this dress, and it floated around my pal all night whenever she moved, making her look vaguely like a goddess. The bodiced-petticoat was a necessity to keep that fine fabric from being completely indecent in the skirt. And, the heavy linen lining in the bodice also provided a perfect sturdy base to keep the dress from feeling too fragile.

Sadly, this picture makes the sizing look terrible, but once we realized what was going on and pulled the drawstrings in tighter, everything worked out (note: bib front is a little tougher for multi-sizing than leaving the opening in the back as the pattern calls for). The sleeves will also need to be pulled in a bit, as you can see. They are decidedly shapeless right now.

Construction photos to come; it appears that my husband took the camera they were on when he left for the weekend. But at least I got a few new pictures of the red 18th century Polonaise gown while we were there. Sadly, the pictures lacked the super-perfect hairdo I wore to my own party--that was a pro job. But Kate did a nice job with what knowledge she had, and she loaned me her exquisite repro jewelry from Amey's Adornments to me so I could feel extra pretty.









No comments:

Post a Comment