Thursday, May 27, 2010

30th Birthday Dress

So I don't do a lot of 20th century sewing, but my girlfriend is turning "29 again," and needed something pretty to wear. Now since those idiots who mass produce clothing out there see fit to make plus-sized clothing look primarily like mumus (with the sole exceptions of Lany Bryant and Torrid) she gave me the opportunity to try my skills.

Twentieth century stuff makes me nervous. I can't help it. It's just not my comfort zone.

But I've sucked it up and gotten started. I picked the dress at right (McCall's 6073) since she lives far away, I can't do any advanced fittings, and this should be a little forgiving if I am off a bit. Plus, I love the crossed bust and the high waist. With some recent changes in my own figure, I've been gravitating more and more towards empire waists, and I thought I should spread the love.

I picked a bright floral fabric because damn it all, if it's your birthday, people should notice you! Of course, with this pattern, I also had to use a lightweight, drapey fabric, which gives hives of anxiety just thinking about it shifting around under my presser foot.

Luckily, this Joann's Fabric find has just enough body to say put.

It is, however, light enough enough to be quite transparent, and my efforts today were put on hold when I discovered that I need to go out and find something to line the skirt with or everyone will see my dear friend's panties through this.

A word of warning to those who try this pattern: The fools who designed didn't seem to think that someone using a lightweight fabric would want to line the dress. Lining the skirt won't be too much trouble to hide the raw edges, but the bodice is a bit of pain. If you have a serger (which I don't), you will probably want to make use of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment